Pride Centre of Edmonton to suspends programs and services amid COVID-19
The Pride Centre of Edmonton will continue to provide support to vulnerable community members through phone-based support, information and referral services and engaging with community members focusing on how we can best meet their needs.
Over the coming weeks, we are evaluating options for alternative measures to provide ongoing services to 2SLGBTQ+ community members. At this time, please be advised that we will be suspending access to the building and in-person programs and services as of March 17, 2020. We will have limited groups meeting in-person based on emergent needs with vigorous procedures to limit exposure. To see which groups will be meeting, click here. This will be active until further notice in response to the increasing proactive measures needed to address COVID-19, in order to be mindful of the health of the 2SLGBTQ+ individuals we serve.
The Pride Centre of Edmonton is connecting with its direct partners AltView foundation, ISMSS, Chew Project, EMCN – Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers, FCSS(City of Edmonton), The Family Centre, Shades of Colour, and our volunteers to provide a coordinated approach to supporting our 2SLGBTQ+ community. We are making these decisions based on the recommendations of Health Canada. Our goal is to reduce the risk of exposure through social distancing and limiting contact with others in order to put the safety of our community members and staff first. Knowing the value that our Centre holds, we commit to modifying our approach as the situation evolves. If you would like to be updated on our modified services, please sign up here.
While the Pride Centre of Edmonton’s building will be closed, we can still be reached via phone and email at 780-488-3234 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you, everyone, for the work you are doing to keep our community safe while finding ways to provide support where we can.
— Estefania Cortes-Vargas, Executive Director
— Pride Centre of Edmonton Team
Updates to The Pride Centre of Edmonton’s Program and Services:
- Queer Prom has been canceled.
- Clothing Giveaway will be postponed.
Programs and Services Suspended
- Drop-In Counselling.
- Drop-In Space.
- Walk-in appointments.
- Education in-person workshops and programs.
- Gathering spaces for support groups and social gatherings.
- Seniors Coffee and Chat
Modified Services and Program
- Refugee and immigration support letters: can still be provided over the phone. Information and Referral phone in-services
- 2SLGBTQ+ Information and Referral and Peer support: we will be available through phone and email at 780-488-3234 or at email@example.com. Monday to Thursday – 12:00 pm – 4:00pm
- Aging with Pride (in collaboration with Edmonton Pride Seniors Group): telephone-based supportive phone service for Seniors/Elders (50+). 4:00 – 5:00 pm every Wednesday.
- Queerout: Youth programming has been moved online for weekly meetings on Wednesdays in Discord. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive details on how to connect to the server link, or add YEG_PCE #1054 on discord to receive the weekly server login information.
- Volunteer Education Program: volunteer education sessions over an online platform, and will be creating online training modules
- Pride Centre Education Training: We will be providing educational workshops for service-providing organizations via an online platform. This will be implemented at the beginning of April.
- Information and Referral (Seniors supports): We will be providing telephone-based information and referral services for 2SLGBTQ+ Seniors. In order to access these services, Seniors must set up an appointment via the Seniors Outreach Coordinators’ phone line at (587) 635-2169.